Wednesday, July 4, 2012

I love you, Jake



Let me tell you something about Jake Stalvey. He is amazing. I have to tell you this, because he would never tell you himself. 

I’m sure you’ve read about the “fruit of the spirit” on a mug or a stitched pillow sometime in your life. They’re a list of character qualities identified by Paul as the natural, external evidences of a spirit-filled heart. 

Love
Peace
Patience
Kindness
Goodness
Gentleness
Faithfulness
Self-control

Each of these words are words I would use to describe the character of the man I’m about to marry.
I’m hot-headed and quick to speak: I’m quick to get on the defense, and I struggle with patience. Not so with Jake. His gentleness, even in times of stress and trouble, flat astounds me. In all our years together, he has not raised his voice to me. He has not given me reason to doubt him. I’m the rolling ocean, he’s the anchor holding steady.

He loves me tenderly and faithfully, in a way I had never experienced before. He reminds of Jesus’ grace every day, just by the way he lives: the way he listens, serves, speaks, laughs. He’s helping me let go of so many of the sins that I keep like a ball and chain around my feet, by leading me on in Christ. The great joy of my life is that I get to walk beside him until I die.

It doesn’t seem nearly long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment